The Hewing Hotel is rich with history. Originally conceived by developer George Henry Andrews, the structure was built over a century ago. The hotel’s name is inspired by the Minnesota pine beams that were ‘hewn’ down the street. Hewing pays homage to its roots with thoughtful touches like exposed-wood architecture and live Minneapolis music.
The Hewing Hotel was constructed in 1897 and originally known as the Andrews Building. Until the 1920s, the building was used as a showroom for farm equipment, including plows, seed planters, and tractors. Trains pulled into the high-ceiling basement to drop off merchandise.
In the 1980s and ’90s, the building was used as a practice space by successful Minneapolis bands, including The Replacements, The Suburbs, and Soul Asylum. Today, the Rooftop Lounge continues the building’s musical tradition by hosting live music from both local and national acts.
The building sat vacant for many years until the Hewing Hotel opened in November 2016—the Rooftop Lounge was added at this time. With 124 rooms and over 7,500 sq. ft. of event space, the Hewing has become a hospitality staple in the North Loop District of Downtown Minneapolis.